Hi all! I had a wonderful time attending FNCE. I met so many fabulous RDs, many of which I feel like I have known forever through social media. A big shout out to my rooms for the trip, Lindsay and Kristina.
If you follow me on instagram, then you know I got a whole lot of swag.
There were many great educational sessions, I attended but I wanted to give you a few tidbits from my favorite session called How Consumers Decide What to Eat: Strategies For Making Healthy Choices given by Dr. Jim Painter and Elizabeth Ward, RD.
- Make the focus for healthy foods visible and accessible.
- Americans eat according to the MyPlate guidelines only 7 days of the year.
- Participants in study ate less ice cream when given small bowls and small spoons, even if they could repeatedly have seconds helpings.
- It is easy to lose track of how much we are eating. Thus the importance of keeping a food diary.
- Participants fed fast food that is correct portion for a month actually lost weight. Key is not necessarily the foods, but the portion of what we are eating.
- Habits allow the brain an easy way out because they stop it from fully engaging in the hundreds of decisions we make daily. More than 40% of actions people performed every day qualified as habits, not decisions.
- When a behavior becomes automatic, the likelihood of repeating it is higher,
which can be positive (eating more whole grains) or negative (having a cigarette first thing in the morning)
Other Swanky Scoop:
One of the neat items I received during FNCE was this messenger bag filled with loot from Subway.
They offered to give away one to my readers as well!
The unique, exclusive Subway messenger bag, is specially designed to hold a hot or cold Subway sandwich, and packed with:
• Subway gift card
• Water bottle
• Workout cards
• Health magazine
Here is a little preview of all the fabulous goodies you get!
A big thank you to Subway for the great package and for providing my readers with one as well! #eatfresh
Leave a comment telling me what your favorite subway sandwich is and/or what your fav sandwich toppings are. I will pick a winner, November 1st. Good luck!
Disclaimer: I received these Subway items free of charge. My opinions are honest and my own.