Blueberry and Lemon Donuts

March 21, 2013

I am always looking for inventive breakfast ideas.  I don’t seem to have difficulty when it comes to lunch or dinner, but I am often stumped with the morning meals.  Toast with peanut butter and banana slices or vegetable omelets are front runners but sometimes a change is good.

Enter my trusty donut pan.

I might have said this before, but keep in mind baked donuts and fried donuts really shouldn’t be put in the same category.  Although baked donuts are good, they remind me more of muffin than a donut.

But this blueberry and lemon variety really changes up the flavor profile versus your typical donut, i.m.o.

These are just what my breakfast ordered. :)

Baked Blueberry and Lemon Donuts (adapted from momadvice)

Makes 14

Ingredients:

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • zest from 1 lemon
  • ¾ cup nonfat milk
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup blueberries, halved

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  Whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl.

Add in lemon zest and whisk into your dry ingredients.

Pour in milk, eggs, butter, and vanilla extract.  Gently mix the ingredients together. Be careful not to overmix!

Fold in the blueberries carefully.

Lightly grease the donut pan with non-stick cooking spray.  Carefully spoon the batter into the donut pan, filling about halfway.

Bake the donuts at 400 degrees for about 8-9 minutes.

Enjoy!

I guess these do remind me a lot of a muffin but I still love the darling shape!  These are nice and soft and you get a burst of blueberry with almost every bite.  If you want to be a bit extra sinful, feel free to put a bit of powdered sugar over the top.

Having Monday off from work really helped to speed up this week!  Ready for the weekend!  Thanks for reading!

What are your favorite breakfast ideas?

zp8497586rq

{ 10 comments }

Brandi March 21, 2013 at 9:58 am

Yum! I have got to get me a donut tray! :) I love taking some eggs, turkey bacon, and spinach…mix them all together and put the mixture in a muffin pan! :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) March 21, 2013 at 12:14 pm

MMMm blueberries. I haven’t had a donut in 20 years! I worked at a bakery….now I can’t stand the smell of them. Of course, it didn’t turn me off of cookies ;-)

Swanky Dietitian March 23, 2013 at 1:30 am

I can imagine being around it everyday and wanting to still eat it too!!!

Simply Life March 21, 2013 at 12:21 pm

yum! looks like a nice change for breakfast!

Amanda, RD- The Nutritionist Reviews March 21, 2013 at 4:08 pm

These look wonderful! I have never tried baked donuts yet.

Swanky Dietitian March 23, 2013 at 1:29 am

Thanks, Amanda!
Those bars you reviewed look great by the way! I wasn’t able to leave a comment though.

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish March 22, 2013 at 5:10 am

Yum! These look delicious, Kristen! A donut pan has been near the top of my kitchen gadget wish list for several years; I’m hoping that Santa will catch the memo next Christmas. ;) I love muffins, but agree that eating a muffin-like donut is much more fun, solely because of the shape. There’s something about that hole in the middle that makes them so much more special. :)

When it comes to breakfast, I usually make some variation of pancakes, egg scrambles or oatmeal. :)

Happy almost-Friday!

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts March 22, 2013 at 10:29 am

Oh, these look incredible!! Yum :) I think these must be the best donut combination I’ve seen.

Jessie March 25, 2013 at 3:56 pm

These baked doughnuts look incredible! I’ve been hankering for a doughnut pan for a while, and I think your recipe will tip the balance in its favor ;) I hope you had a good weekend, and happy belated birthday, Kristen!

Roz@weightingfor50 March 25, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I haven’t seen the little doughnut pans here. Mind you, I haven’t looked too hard. But I should. These look great. Have a good week.

Comments on this entry are closed.