Recipe ReDux: A Trend in Every Pot

January 21, 2013

Hi, friends!  Sorry that I have been a bit more MIA.  Although I had a few roadblocks with Windows Live Writer (still isn't working), I wanted to make sure I got this post up for this month's Recipe ReDux-it has been forever since I have posted with those lovely ladies.

This month's challenge is “a trend in every pot”.  It highlights the upcoming food trends for 2013!  There are so many great food trends this year including veggies take over the plate, kid's menus grow up, and sour gets it's day.  That last trend really stuck out to me.  It focuses on exposing our palates to the tastes of tart, acidic, and bitter.  Since I missed the past ReDux challenge for fermented foods, I thought what better time to try it!

I received this book from a friend forever ago and had yet to make anything from it.  I knew I had seen a recipe for sauerkraut so I jumped at the opportunity to give that at try.

I think the reason I had put off trying fermented foods for so long is the difficulty behind it.  But, it honestly wasn't difficult at all!  And even better… there were only 4, count 'em 4, ingredients.  Carrots, cabbage, salt, and seasoning of choice (I used oregano).

Carrot and Cabbage Sauerkraut (adapted from DIY Delicious)

Ingredients:

• 1 medium head green cabbage, sliced thin or grated
  • 2 to 3 carrots, sliced thing or grated
  • 1 tablespoon

plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt

• 1 tablespoon dried oregano

Directions:

Combine all the vegetables in a large bowl along with salt and oregano.

With clean hands, toss and squeeze the

vegetables until they start to soften and release their liquid- about 5 minutes.  Pack mixture tightly into a glass mason jar and press mixture down firmly with a pounder until juices come to top.  The top of the mixture should be at least 1 inch below the top of the jar.

Cover tightly and keep at room temperature for about 3 days before transferring to cold storage.

**It's important to make sure the vegetables are submerged under the liquid. I ended up adding a bit of filtered water to mine after reading other blogs that said they did the same.

So for now, my jar is just hanging out but I am so excited to see the results!  There are many benefits to fermenting your own foods, especially the benefits of probiotics.    Probiotics are important for maintaining our gut integrity.  We need our guts to be healthy and happy to aid in digestion and to help boost immunity.  Fermented foods are a tasty (and easy) way to incorporate more probiotics in our diets.

Other Swanky Scoop:

I big thank you to Arbonne for letting me sample some of their products.

Abronne products are made without parabens, artificial colors, and do no animal testing.  I think it's so important since we often look into the safety of what we put in our bodies, not on them.

I especially loved the assortment of face creams I got to sample.  My skin felt so soft and silky after.

Thanks for reading!

Have you tried fermenting? Any tips?

zp8497586rq

{ 15 comments }

Heather (Where's the Beach) January 21, 2013 at 9:06 pm

I love sauerkraut but have never attempted making it. Hubby has made beer, does that count for fermenting ;-)

Andrea@WellnessNotes January 21, 2013 at 10:22 pm

I’ve never fermented anything, but my parents make a big pot of sauerkraut every year. This sounds easy and doable; I’ll give this a try soon!

Swanky Dietitian January 22, 2013 at 2:09 am

Yes, I was surprised it was so easy! Fingers crossed it turns out!

Min January 22, 2013 at 1:18 am

Many Korean foods are prepared through fermentation, such as kimchi, soybean paste, red chili paste, various pickled veggies. So I def chummy with probiotics ;).

Jessie January 22, 2013 at 2:44 am

Yay, I love fermented foods! And your recipe looks so easy, I think I’ll have to try it! I agree that it’s high time we highlight less typical tastes, like sour and bitter (besides the fact that I’ve always loved those flavors ;) ).

Sorry to hear WLW isn’t working – good luck with ironing out those annoying issues!

Swanky Dietitian January 22, 2013 at 4:20 am

Thanks Jessie!!
I hate technology sometimes! Still not sure why Live Writer isn’t working! At least I had Wordpress to blog as a back up. :)

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts January 22, 2013 at 9:45 am

Those 4 ingredients definitely make the process simpler than I thought it would be! Thanks for sharing – it seems a bit less daunting now :)

Allie-Nutrition Meets Life January 22, 2013 at 12:28 pm

This looks fabulous! I love all of the ingredients and it seems so simple to make! I will try this one for sure!

teri@managedmacros January 22, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I have no fermenting tips to share but I do admire that you did it!!! I love fermented foods, just bought some kimchi actually. Yours looks so clean, healthy and sooo simple! Very good!!!
Fun products in the mail, like Christmas in January!
Have a Swanky week!

Swanky Dietitian January 22, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Someone else mentioned kimchi. I have only tried it once but after hearing how much everyone loves it, I may need to give it another go! :)
Have a great week too, Teri!

Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie January 22, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I love sauerkraut and this recipe looks like a great variety!

EA-The Spicy RD January 23, 2013 at 5:12 am

Love your experimentation with fermentation and can’t believe how simple it sounds! I re-tried kimchi a couple of weeks ago and actually really liked it, so perhaps I’ll give sauerkraut another try :-). Glad to have you back in the ReDux!

Regan @ The Professional Palate January 25, 2013 at 10:57 am

i’m so ready to embrace fermenting from an eating standpoint… i’m scared to ferment on my own though :) proud of you for tackling!

Swanky Dietitian January 25, 2013 at 3:00 pm

That’s how I felt!!! But I was pleasantly surprised!!! ;)

Biz January 25, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I just make a stove top version of sauerkraut with red cabbage and apples – its ready in 20 minutes so its a nice week night side dish.

Enjoy your weekend!

Comments on this entry are closed.