An Oldie, But Goodie

July 19, 2012

This post title goes for two things: body pump and quinoa salads.  Both are a frequent on this blog, but they are just too good to pass up!

Yesterday, I joined swanky boyfriend at the gym for a morning body pump

class.  It has been a while since I’ve went to BP and holy moly, I am sore today!!  I plan on putting it back into my weekly routine.

photo (94)

A recipe that caught my eye from Eat Live Run, put a fun spin on many of the quinoa dishes I make.

The addition of a juicy grapefruit sounded not only refreshing, but unique!  Grapefruits are one of my favorite fruits but I only seem to eat them with breakfast.  It reminds me of being a child and staying at Embassy Suites in San Diego.  They served the best breakfast and the grapefruit had a cherry in the center!  But, I really loved the idea of incorporating it with hearty black beans, zesty cilantro, and sweet corn.

Black Bean Quinoa and Citrus Salad (adapted from Eat Live Run)

Ingredients:

salad:

• 2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 red onion, minced
  • 2 large grapefruits, divided into segments and chopped
  • 2 large red bell peppers, diced
  • 3 ears fresh corn, kernels chopped off’
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 1 large (ripe but firm) avocado, diced
  • 1 small bunch cilantro, minced

dressing:

• juice of 3 limes
  • 2 teaspoon cumin
  • 3 T extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt

Directions:

Bring quinoa to a boil with 2 1/2 cups water with a pinch of salt. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until all water is absorbed and quinoa is light and fluffy. Remove from stove and let cool while you prepare the rest of the salad.

Place black beans, red onion, grapefruit, cilantro, bell pepper, avocado and shucked corn kernels in a large bowl.

Add juice of limes, cumin, and a dash of salt.

Toss well and serve.

Salad will keep

in sealed containers for up to five days in the fridge, which is just what I did!  This delicious meal has made the best lunch throughout the week.

I tasted it before adding the olive oil and it was delicious without it!

The grapefruit adds a tart sweetness and combines well with the other flavors.

This recipe is another hit.  An oldie, but goodie! Smile

Other Swanky Scoop:

At work yesterday, we had the opportunity to view the HBO documentary, The Weight Of The Nation, which discusses the obesity epidemic in the US.

2012-07-19_0748

Here are some interesting facts about the third movie.

• $1.5 billion per year is spent on food marketing to children. (ex: tv)
  • Food marketing is shown to affect children’s food preferences and choices.
  • Only 10% of parents seek medical help for their children.
  • 40-80% of child’s daily caloric intake is from school meals and snacks.
  • 48% sugar consumption is from beverages.

Working with children, this subject really hits home.  It is a great eye opening video and hopefully a step in the right direction for helping to bring more awareness to obesity.  If you are interested in viewing, the videos can be watched .

What workout or recipe is an oldie, but goodie for you?  Have you seen The Weight of the Nation?

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

Caroline @ After Dinner Dance July 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm

That salad looks delicious except I don’t like grapefruit. I might try it with orange! I watched the first part of Weight of the Nation but haven’t watched the rest. Maybe I can download it somewhere and watch the rest on my long flight to San Antonio next week.

Swanky Dietitian July 19, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Yeah, I will say that is a unique combo. But, I will orange would be just as delicious! :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) July 19, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I’m with Caroline – no grapefruit for me either – but I bet it’d be great with orange or even lime juice (more Tex Mex). Love black beans and corn together for the texture combo.

Tanya @ Dine, Dash, and Deadlift July 19, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I just love how colorful all of these quinoa recipes you post are. I really like the idea of adding citrus and avocado!

Min July 19, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I actually saw this recipe from Jenna’s blog and have made it before! It was so light and refreshing! Perfect summer meal!
I’ve never seen the documentary but am def going to check it out! I did a research with WIC, and it was mind-blowing to see what the infants and toddlers were eating! So disheartening..

Swanky Dietitian July 19, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I agree, it is very sad. I work with children who struggle with overweight and obesity. It is definitely a struggle but hopefully we are working in the right direction. :)

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts July 20, 2012 at 12:16 am

Having also worked with overweight children, these sorts of figures make me so sad. It’s really not their responsibility to design their diet to maintain a healthy weight, so we are failing quite badly as a society by not setting them up for health from an early age!

This sort of salad would go a long way in helping, I suspect :)

Hayley @ Oat Couture July 20, 2012 at 7:50 am

Honestly I never really get drawn in to salads like that but this one looks really tasty!! Will be perfect to take to work with me over the weekend! :) Also thanks for the documentary link, will check it out this aft! It makes me so sad and angry that children aren’t being steered in the right direction by parents, it is definitely an area I want to do some work in when I am qualified! Something with young and soon to be parents, it is soo key to get the good habits started right from day dot!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish July 20, 2012 at 8:20 am

I love the idea of combining tangy grapefruit and creamy avocado in a salad. I bet the flavors balance each other perfectly!

Thanks so much for the links; I’ve been meaning to watch Weight of the Nation, but haven’t gotten around to it yet. These statistics break my heart and offer further proof why we need to continue advocating policy change. More nutrition education, improved cafeteria meals, and increased physical activity, will begin chipping away at the problem. Parent involvement and community support are essential too!

Beth @ 990 Square July 20, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I miss pump so much. It’s one thing I’m really looking forward to once marathon training is over!

(My PT recommended I stop pump until after marathon training. He’s been really good at keeping me healthy, so I’m listening to him!)

Swanky Dietitian July 20, 2012 at 11:24 pm

I remember training for my half. The bulk of what I did was running too and didn’t do much else in terms of weights at the time. Sounds like yuo are in great hands! :)

Biz July 20, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I love grapefruit, never thought to put it in a salad like that before – love it!

When my daughter first started school and she brought home the lunch menu, I was appauled at how many calories and grams of fat their lunches were – some were in the 900 calorie range – for lunch!

I’ll have to see if I can find that documentary. Happy Friday!

Brittany July 20, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Citrus with quinoa is life changing!! I am obsessed. I make a frequent quinoa salad with lemon and lime (and other goodies!) This one looks to die for!! That movie/documentary looks great! Have a great weekend pretty lady!

Swanky Dietitian July 20, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Thanks Britt!
Love the idea of adding both lemon and lime. I will definitely give that a try! :)

Julia H. @ Going Gulia July 23, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Thanks for the documentary rec! For some reason, I always get into a documentary mood during the summer, so I’ll check this one out :)