Tomorrow is Friday! Woohoo! I think I say that every Thursday, don’t I!?!
I’m extra excited since I have a 4 day weekend! Next Tuesday marks the first day of my online Master’s Program. I’m starting to get a teensy bit more nervous as it nears. It’s a relief to know I’ll be off work for my first day of class though, that’s for sure.
I’m not sure how blogging with go in the next few weeks while getting used to juggling work and school, but I’m going to try to blog as often as I can!
Well let me tell ya’, this recipe ranks up there with the breakfast pizza.
Mediterranean Eggplant and Barley Salad inspired by Smitten Kitchen
Makes 4 (main course) or 8 (side dish) servings
- 11/2 lb eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 lb zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 10 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup chopped scallion (from 1 bunch)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/4 cups pearl barley (8 oz)
- 1 (14-oz) can reduced-sodium vegetable
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 lb cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/3 cup Kalamata or other brine-cured olives, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion, rinsed and drained if desired
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
Roast eggplant and zucchini: Put oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat oven to 425°F.
Toss eggplant and zucchini with 5 tablespoons oil, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl, then spread in a large shallow baking pan.
Roast vegetables in oven, stirring occasionally and switching position of pans halfway through baking, until vegetables are golden brown and tender, 20 to 25 minutes total.
Cook barley in broth and water based on package directions. Bring ingredients to a boil.