Recipe ReDux- Frozen Dessert

August 21, 2011

This month’s Recipe ReDux didn’t go quite as smoothly as the others.  I am known for making messes in the kitchen and on myself, but not to this extent. Sad smile  Let’s just say, I had to change clothes I was that drenched.

But you know what; the most important thing is the end result.  And trust me, I enjoyed (what was left of) this recipe even more since I worked that much harder to get it.

August’s Recipe ReDux theme is frozen desserts.  As seen (or not seen) on my blog, I haven’t dabbled much in this area.  Just another reason why I love these monthly challenges.  I sat scratching my head for quite some time, trying to conjure up the perfect frozen dessert.

I started thinking about my favorite foods, hoping I could incorporate them somehow.  Coffee, peanut butter, and bananas came to mind.  I eat/drink these pretty much everyday.  I don’t know what it is, but something about that magical combination got me thinking it would make a perfect frozen dessert.

I simply gathered up my goods. (Ripe bananas work just fine for me.) I made a batch of coffee ahead of time (sticking it the fridge to cool).

I threw in the blender peanut butter, banana, coffee, and a splash of milk.

I blended the ingredients until they were silky smooth.

Popsicle molds were the perfect vehicle.  I borrowed these darling molds from my aunt.

I poured the mixture into the molds and attempted to put the lids on. (Insert slight set back here. Winking smile)

Pop them in the freezer and you’re good to go!  I was beyond excited about how well these turned out!  I loved the hint of coffee flavor that you taste.  There are a grown up popsicle if you will.

I love this dessert, because although it feels decadent, it is not calorie laden.

To check out past Recipe ReDux’s visit my page here.

A List Of The Other Fabulous Recipe ReDuxers:

Coconut Ice Cream with Strawberry Puree
Yuri – Chef Pandita
Acerola Chia Lime Popsicles
EA Stewart-The Spicy RD
Luscious Lemonade Pie
Danielle Omar – Food Confidence RD
Banana Soft Serve                                                                                                                       Katie Caputo- East Meats West
Auntie Rosie’s Ice Cream Pie
Jackie Mills – Delicious Diabetes Cooking
Summer Fruit Popsicles
Audra Losey – Nutrition Know How
Mocha Pops
Kristina LaRue – Love and Zest
Frozen Berry Yogurt

What is your favorite frozen dessert?

{ 35 comments… read them below or add one }

Laural @ Being Healthier August 21, 2011 at 4:09 pm

those look delicious! I love your redux posts. :-)

Andrea@WellnessNotes August 21, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Awesome dessert! I just bought new popsicle molds (I lost my old ones; I used to make popsicles all the time when the teenager was little). I know I would love these, but I guess I should leave out the coffee for the toddler… Or I could hide them from him… ;)

fittingbackin August 21, 2011 at 5:13 pm

WOW – these look amazing! I’ve never made a frozen treat!

Liz Marr, MS, RD August 21, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Wow, peanut butter, coffee and bananas – I’m coming over to your house for dessert! Fun flavor combo.

Lexie August 21, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I will definitely have to try these! My all-time fav smoothie is peanut butter and banana, so I know my taste buds will be lovin this combo!!

Swanky Dietitian August 21, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Thanks! After seeing the other recipes, I probably should have been a bit more creative. But I still think they turned out pretty yummy!

Allison @ PickyEatingRD August 21, 2011 at 7:37 pm

What a great idea! You know what else we could do with those?!?! Freeze them in an ice cube tray and use them as the ice cubes for iced coffee – yes please!

Heather (Where's the Beach) August 21, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Perfect summer dessert!

Heather August 21, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Those sound delicious – almost like a pudding pop!

I love coffee flavor but hate coffee – I’m a 100% tea drinker.

Bianca August 22, 2011 at 3:11 am

Coffee, banana and peanut butter, three of my favorite things! I know I have popsicle molds (never used) somewhere in my house. I better find them asap.

Alex August 22, 2011 at 3:28 am

Looks awesome, now I have a recipe for all the leftover coffee I don’t finish in the morning :)

melindard August 22, 2011 at 5:24 am

These look awesome. I love to make pops, especially since I have a Zoku (which spoils me). The possibilities are endless and I love to experiment. I need to look more into this recipe redux thins since I am just noticing it on a few blogs. I have been MIA for a few weeks with travel and the move so I am so out of the loop. It’s good to be back.

Will you be at FNCE this year?

Swanky Dietitian August 22, 2011 at 2:10 pm

So great to hear from you!
I’m not going to FNCE this year unfortunately. Both my coworkers are going, and I went last year. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for next year. You?

EA-The Spicy RD August 22, 2011 at 5:50 am

I definitely have o try these because I love all these ingredients too! Oh, and I’m so glad I’m not th only one who is messy in the kitchen :-)

Hayley @ Oat Couture August 22, 2011 at 10:55 am

Ooh such a good idea, I have the lolly moulds as well, shame to see them sat doing nothing! ;)

Lisa @ Healthful Sense August 22, 2011 at 2:23 pm

These look so refreshing… perfect for the summer!! Atleast you remembered to post your recipe redux… I had it in my mind that the recipe redux was tomorrow?? Oh well :)

Swanky Dietitian August 22, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Oh no! If it makes you feel better, I almost forgot. That morning I remembered.

Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 22, 2011 at 4:12 pm

ooooh. I am SOOO making these. YUM.

Biz August 22, 2011 at 4:48 pm

My daughter would love these – she loves all things coffee!

I am not much of a sweets person, but I do love regular vanilla bean ice cream!

Melissa Laird August 22, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I can’t wait to try these, I love popsicles in the summer and these are some of my favs as well! Great combination, I might try and add some chocolate of some sort since I love that with these items too!!! :-) Thanks!

Lauren August 22, 2011 at 5:34 pm

All my favorite flavors. One of us foodtrainers has to get on the recipe redux train already. Did I miss the messy part, what happened?

Swanky Dietitian August 22, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I didn’t go into it but in typical Kristen fashion, I spilled almost all of the it on the floor and all over me. :)

Liz - Meal Makeover Mom August 23, 2011 at 1:36 am

This is the third frozen redux dessert I’ve looked at so far made with coffee. What’s going on here. RDs definitely love their coffee (me included). Great looking recipe. Perfect for summer!

Swanky Dietitian August 23, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Haha, I guess we must!
Thanks for stopping by! :)

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan August 23, 2011 at 2:02 am

YUM! So easy, too! Banana + PB = always a winner.

Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers August 23, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Yummy! I hope to enjoy some of these recipes before summer’s over. Thanks for posting.

Nicole, RD August 23, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I bet the touch of coffee in there was perfect – they sure look amazing! I would’ve loved to see a picture of the disaster. I hate when stuff like that happens!!

Swanky Dietitian August 23, 2011 at 7:12 pm

If it hadn’t been for it being a Recipe ReDux post, I totally would have included that disaster. It was pretty crazy how much I spilled! :)

TheCookieBoss August 23, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Yum! I just realized that you can take a cup of almond milk or yogurt and dissolve a 1/2 to a whole tablespoon of sugar in it and freeze it to get ice cream. But when it freezes the first time, you have to blend it in a food processor. I actually did it twice, but it’s still good. But yeah, frozen yogurt is my favorite dessert.

Swanky Dietitian August 24, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I’ll have to try that! :)

Tanya @ Dine, Dash & Deadlift August 25, 2011 at 1:25 am

Peanutbutter plus a caffeine kick from the coffee?? YES PLEASE!

Special K August 25, 2011 at 4:45 pm

How much coffee did you use? I tried coffee and oatmeal banana cookies once and um, no…. I am wondering if it would be better frozen

Swanky Dietitian August 25, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I honestly put a tablespoon or so since I wasn’t sure how it’d turn out. I’m sure you could add more and they would be delish! :)

Regan @ The Professional Palate August 30, 2011 at 12:29 am

So you mentioned to get 3 of my all time faves in one place… now, if you could’ve added red wine? J/K ;-)

billy February 21, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I think it’s funny how at a restaurant they always ask you if you want desert but barely anyone orders.