Baskets and Butternut

January 19, 2011

Hi!  Today has been feeling like a Monday all day since I was off work yesterday. I am definitely not complaining.  I think I need to start going to sleep earlier since the snooze button has become a regular part of my routine.

I am so excited to share with you all my produce from my Bountiful Baskets co-op I picked up on Saturday.

I have only gotten an order once before and was super impressed.  My mom decided to split it with me since it is soo much produce for just one person!  We went with the conventional basket which totaled to only 16 buckaroos!  Quite the deal if you ask me. I do normally try to buy organic produce (especially the dirty dozen) but will buy conventional at times.

All I have to say…Holy Basket!

Like I mentioned, my mom split it up and also put some aside from my grandma.

Here Is My Loot:

• Pears
  • Asian Pear
  • Butternut Squash
  • Apples
  • Lettuce
  • Tangelos
  • Oranges
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Kiwis
  • Pepper
  • Plus an unpictured Pineapple

Since I had pretty basic produce, I thought I would share a yummy recipe I made with the butternut squash.  I found this tasty recipe from Iowa Girl Eats.  (I eliminated the sausage but the dish was still just as yummy.)

Roasted Butternut Squash & Tofu (from IGE)

Ingredients:

• Butternut squash-cubed
  • Extra firm tofu-cubed
  • Chicken broth
  • Brown rice

I used my handy dandy tofu press to get the excess water out.

Toss the squash in olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper then roast for 30 minutes at 425 degrees, tossing half way through.

At the squash’s halfway point, add tofu (seasoned the same way) in the oven.

Look at that color!!

Serve over brown rice cooked in chicken broth.

This dish turned out excellent!  The tofu and squash both had a nice crisp coating.  Yum!

The perfect bite!

I will definitely be making this again!  Easy, healthy, and delicious!

I am off again tomorrow (my regular day off).  Going to watch a bit of TV then call it a night.  Have a great evening and thanks for reading!!

Do you buy organic or conventional produce?

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one }

justin January 19, 2011 at 7:17 am

looks like a great deal for a whole lot of delicious food! might have to look into getting one of these plentiful baskets of flavor bursting foods….. thanks for sharing!!!

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel January 19, 2011 at 1:22 pm

this is just getting too freaky, i had baked squash and tofu last night too!!! i get shocked everytime i find other bloggers with the same cravings- i bet a few other people had the same thing too huh! mmm so yummiii <3

Swanky Dietitian January 19, 2011 at 7:02 pm

How funny! I must admit, I wasn’t sure about the combination, but it was excellent!!

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel January 19, 2011 at 1:23 pm

o and i buy both organic and conventional. i try to buy all organic or all local but sometimes my wallet says otherwise ;)

xo

Heather (Where's the Beach) January 19, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I am so jealous of that basket of goodies. And the squash and tofu??? YUM. I typically buy conventional unless I can get it from our local growers – then it’s cheaper. Unfortunately, our organic farmers’ market isn’t year round.

erica@fashionmeetsfood January 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Well didn’t you score an awesome loot. Your meal looks delish. i have never had butternut squash before… maybe I need to venture out of my box and try it.

xo

Jess (Sweet Potato) January 19, 2011 at 3:24 pm

That looks like a great box! I LOVE butternut squash… which reminds me that I havnt made any yet this winter. I need to get on that!

Heather January 19, 2011 at 4:26 pm

All that for $16! That is amazing!

I try to buy organic produce as much as I can – I do a CSA share that starts in June. That is all organic and I love it!

Emma January 19, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I try to buy organic as much as possible, at least when it comes to the dirty dozen. But sometimes the price difference is just too much so I go conventional. When our farmer’s market is open I have great access to better priced organic produce which is great!

Swanky Dietitian January 19, 2011 at 7:01 pm

A lot of times the price is the big reason for me as well. I love farmer’s markets! I have heard we have a couple good ones here in Vegas I need to check them out.

Special K January 19, 2011 at 7:23 pm

In Europe, everything on the economy is considered “organic” so I would say 40% organic, 60% conventional. Some produce it doesn’t matter with, but tomatoes, zuchs, apples, pears…BIG difference!

Dana @ Budget Dietitian January 19, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Kristen- Does your box come from a CSA? Is it organic? How did you find them?

That box is the greatest deal ever! :)

Swanky Dietitian January 20, 2011 at 12:18 am

I know, isn’t it great!!! It is a co-op. The site is http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/ if you want to check it out.
I did the conventional this time around but they do also offer organic. I have gotten the organic before and it is still a great price.

Allison January 20, 2011 at 3:44 am

I usually buy organic whenever possible but there are some times that it just isn’t possible if I am eating on the run!

Nicole, RD January 20, 2011 at 11:58 am

I am so jealous of your co-op box! Tangelos?! Yum! You’ve got all sorts of goodies in there! And a tofu press?! I didn’t even know those existed! I want one!! :) Enjoy your day off, I’m jealous!

melindard January 20, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Great looking goodie basket and also I love that tofu and squash dish. I usually buy conventional, unless at the organic market in my little village. I am not even sure if the local grocery store has organic. I wonder what the European standards are and if they are different from the US. Even our commissary produce comes from Europe. We do have some organic in a small section of the commissary.

S @ extremebalance.net/blog January 21, 2011 at 5:16 am

how will you eat the tangelo?

Swanky Dietitian January 21, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I am boring and didn’t do anything special with it..just ate it as is. It was still delicious! I do love putting fruits on salads but didn’t do that this time around.

Kristin @ Iowa Girl Eats January 23, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I am so jealous of that basket! I have been dying to join a CSA, but have yet to make the leap. Thinking I’ll start next Fall after the Farmer’s Markets have closed for the year!