Martinis and Mother’s Day

May 9, 2010

Happy Sunday and Happy Mother’s Day!  I want to take a minute to say thanks to my mother.  I know I wouldn’t  be where I am today if it wasn’t for her.  She has inspired me in so many ways.  Love you mom!

Any special  plans for Mother’s Day?  Tonight, I am going over to my parents.  Were doing presents and take out.  I can’t wait!  Do you have any special Mother’s Day traditions?

I had a pretty low key weekend which is always nice.  My next few weekends are jam packed:  wine event, book club, bridal shower, wedding…and the list goes on.  I will be sure to blog all my adventures.

This Saturday I joined my sister and a few of her friends for dinner and drinks.  My sister had another coupon at Buca Di Beppo for $10 off off the entire meal.  It’s funny cause I haven’t gone to Buca Di Beppo in years and then I ended up going twice over a few months.

Of course, bread to start.  Why can’t I resist the bread.  So warm and soft…just too good to pass up.  I ended up having two pieces.

Between the fours of us, we split 3 small dishes.  For starters, we decided to go with the salad we had last time.

Chopped Antipasto Salad

Diced pepperoni, red onions, pepperoncini peppers, cucumbers, provolone, feta and Gorgonzola cheeses, tossed with our fresh lettuce blend in our signature Italian vinaigrette.

Chicken Marsala

Sautéed chicken breasts and fresh mushrooms in a sweet Marsala wine reduction

Chicken Carbonara

Tender chicken breast, prosciutto and peas with imported Italian spaghetti tossed in our creamy Alfredo sauce.

If these are the “small” dishes, what does the large look like?

Here is my plate.  I ate salad first and didn’t take a picture (oops). I had about 2 cups of the salad.

The dinner plates they give you are so big they look like serving platters.  Did you know they have done studies where if people are given larger plates, they will end up eating more.  I guess it is common sense, but we can sometimes forget how the size of the plate can also affect our portion as well.

After dinner we went to a locals place in Vegas called Blue Martini.  It is a fun bar.  They have live music and outdoor seating which is so nice this time of year.

I ordered the Mango Martini and it was so good..not too strong.

I had to show you a picture of my sister’s drink.  She ordered a “Blue Martini” and blue it was..and super strong.  I thought it was funny cause it had a glow stick in it.

IMG_3646propecia without prescriptions

.jpg” width=”280″ height=”372″ />

My sister (left) and I sipping our colorful drinks.

We had a nice time.  It is nice to have a low key night and enjoy a drink with your girlfriends.  Do you guys think I need a tan or what?

Today I went to jump rope but skipped out on body pump.  I don’t know what it was, but jump rope kicked my butt today.  She had us running laps and all kinds of other crazy stuff.  Don’t get my wrong, it was a great workout and I love being pushed like that, but it was tough.  I am going to do some weights later on today…or that is what I am telling myself now.  Hold me to this guys!

I did end up making a tasty chicken salad recipe to have for lunch this week for work.  I really enjoy reading Iowa Girl Eats.  She comes up with the best recipes.  I like chicken salad but am not the biggest mayo fan.  When I came across her recipe for chicken salad without mayo, I knew I had to give it a try.  I eliminated the celery.  For some reason, I am just not the biggest fan of celery
in cold salads.  I also did not have curry powder, so I used the garam masala seasoning.  I cut the serving since I did not know how it would taste.

(Mayo-Free) Chicken Salad (serves 3)                                     [source][/source]

Ingredients:

• 6 oz shredded chicken
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds
  • 2 green onion, sliced
  • 2 small ribs celery, chopped

Dressing:

• 1/2 cup plain Greek Yogurt
  • 1/2 1/4 teaspoon curry powder garam masala powder
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • squeeze of lemon juice
  • salt, to taste

Directions:

Mix dressing ingredients and pour over chicken mixture. Toss to coat. Serve!

IMG_3651 IMG_3652

IMG_3653 IMG_3654

The end result…

I had a little taste and it was soo good!  The garam masala seasoning actually tasted pretty good in there.  I can’t wait to try it out this week (as a sandwich of course)!  Yum!  I love blogs for the main reason that there are so many new, easy, and delicious recipes!

Hope you have a great day!  Happy Mom’s Day!  Thanks for stopping by!  By the way, I loved hearing your favorite recipe sites.  A few of you recommended Allrecipes.  I checked it out and found some great recipes.  I have a meal planned for this week!

zp8497586rq

{ 19 comments }

Corinne Dobbas May 9, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Oooo! Thanks for the chicken salad dressing! I always just use nonfat Greek and spicy mustard…this dressing is definitely an easy healthy change that I can use! I’m so excited to try it! And glad you had some quality gal time–there’s nothing better!

Heather (Where's the Beach) May 9, 2010 at 10:22 pm

That mango martini sounds yummy. So is jump rope a class? How fun. Hope you get your weights in!

Swanky Dietitian May 10, 2010 at 4:04 am

It is a 30 minute class at my gym. Even though it is 3o minutes, it is tough! I love it and wish my gym offered it more often.

Meredith May 10, 2010 at 12:34 am

My mom’s actually coming down next weekend, so we’re celebrating in person then :) I’m glad you had a fun, relaxing weekend!

The Candid RD May 10, 2010 at 2:01 am

I LOVE chicken marsala!! It reminds me of my childhood because that was one of the few dinners my dad actually cooked. He loved to make that and chili, both were delicious.
Your chicken salad sounds fantastic! I love mayo free chicken salad, Greek yogurt is always better.

Did you do your lifting?? I hope so!!! ;)

Swanky Dietitian May 10, 2010 at 4:04 am

My weight lifting definitely back fired. I think it was something I ate, but I have been sick all day. So I guess I have a good excuse. I need to make it up for sure!!

Melinda May 10, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Looks like a nice dinner at Buccas. I am jealous, as usual, that you went to the blue martini, in fact that you were any where near town square.

Michelle May 10, 2010 at 8:31 pm

I’m totally bookmarking this recipe for salmon salad!!

Bucca isn’t my favorite simply because i always feel like they’re trying to feed a monster, but my friends are HUUUUGE fans. I was gonna say, that looks like a teeny plate of food, but you’re right! They DO have large plates, so it’s good to keep that in perspective.

Swanky Dietitian May 10, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Yeah, it definitely probably looks smaller than it was. I also had quite a bit of salad and some bread which I didn’t snap a picture of. They definitely overdo it with the portions though.

Elina May 10, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I went to my parents’ house too for Mother’s Day. My mom cooked up a feast for us. Yum :)
Giant plates in restaurants definitely make me overeat because usually the food is good and if you eat a “normal” portion that it looks like you haven’t even made a dent in it… so I use it as an excuse to keep eating. Bad but that’s life :D

Swanky Dietitian May 10, 2010 at 11:02 pm

I am the same way. I tried very hard to watch my portions Saturday. Thanks for stopping by!

Heather May 11, 2010 at 1:17 am

I have a jump rope in my closet that I have never used – I need to pull it out. I can only imagine how hard it would kick my butt!

Love the colors of your drinks – the blue one looks especially good!

Nicole May 11, 2010 at 2:43 am

All Recipes is great, you’ll love it!

That chicken carbonara looks AMAZING!!!! So does the chicken salad! I’ll have to start checking out more of Iowa Girl’s recipes!

Have a great week, Kristen!

Vee May 11, 2010 at 7:41 am

I enjoy rope skipping – awesome and cheap workout. It always destroys me after a few minutes of skipping. :-)
I don’t think you need a tan – your skin looks so healthy and is glowing!

Jessie May 11, 2010 at 9:49 am

Did you do weights Kristen, ahem ahem ahem? Just checking up on you! ;)

I’m glad you had a nice time eating out! I totally agree with you on the ginormous plates and how they cause you to eat more – some plates I’ve seen at restaurants are the side of hubcaps! I love that glowstick in your sister’s drink – it reminds me of wearing those when I was little and thinking I was so cool :)

Sounds like you’re going to be busy but having a lot of fun over the next few weeks!

Andrea@WellnessNotes May 11, 2010 at 8:08 pm

The chicken salad looks and sounds wonderful! And now I want a super blue drink! :)

runnerforever May 11, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I have been wanting to go to Bucca di Beppo, but I hear the portions are huge so I would have to be ready to practice a little self control haha.

Ashley May 12, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Oh my mouth is watering… Is it lunch time yet? Vegas is truly the capital for interesting and delicious cocktails. The last time I was there I had a chocolate martini that was like no other! I had the bartender write down the recipe:

2oz 360 Double Chocolate
1oz Agave Nectar (or simple syrup)
3oz Cream
Garnish: Chocolate Syrup
Garnish: Fresh Strawberries

You should try it ;)

Swanky Dietitian May 12, 2010 at 11:18 pm

That sounds so good! Thanks for posting the recipe. I will definitely have to recreate it!

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 2 trackbacks }