Happy Tuesday! I am happy to report that I am feeling much better. Nothing some good rest couldn’t cure. Thank you for all your get well wishes. I have a nice list of chores waiting for me tomorrow (my day off) since I didn’t get to them this weekend.
So like I had mentioned the other day, I am going to be making a new food each week. This week, I thought I would try out a tofu recipe I got from my Real Simple magazine. My mom got me a subscription of this magazine for Christmas and it has a little of everything..home, fashion, and food, you name it.
Tofu is low in calories and a good source of protein. Per serving (3 ounces), this package has calories 80 calories and 9 grams of protein. The FDA states " 25 grams of soy protein per day as part of a diet low in saturated fat may reduce risk of coronary heart disease ." Tofu also contains a relatively large amount of iron and contains little fat.
There are different types of tofu as I have found out. Tonight’s recipe calls for Extra Firm Tofu.
First, you need to drain the tofu. I found a great how to:
- Layer your bowl with two layers of towels and place tofu on towels
- Place tofu in bowl.
- Lay a fresh towel on top of tofu.
- Gently press down on towel to remove any initial water.
- Remove damp towel and place two layers of fresh towels on top of tofu.
- Carefully place a bowl or other weight on top of towels to press down on tofu.
- Let sit for at least fifteen minutes.
I let the tofu drain while getting my other ingredients together.
Vegetarian Tacos With Spinach, Corn, and Goat Cheese (serves 4)
Source: Real Simple Magazine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu—drained, patted dry, and crumbled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 10-ounce package frozen corn (2 cups), thawed
- 1 5-ounce package baby spinach (about 6 loosely packed cups)
- 8 small flour tortillas, warmed
- 3/4 cup crumbled fresh
goatfeta cheese (3 ounces)
- 3/4 cup store-bought refrigerated salsa
1. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu, chili powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
2. Add the corn and cook, tossing, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add the spinach and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and toss until wilted.
3. Fill the tortillas with the tofu mixture, cheese, and salsa.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
- Calories 355
- Protein 18g
- Fat 14g
- Sat Fat 3g
- Fiber 7g
I thought this recipe turned out great! I really like the combination of flavors. I thought the feta was good, but I think it would taste delish with goat cheese. I definitely recommend trying this recipe out.
I also had a dinner guest…
It’s the funniest thing. He sits at the table like a human. He was not too interested in tonight’s dinner. He is all about the meat.
I will be having some leftovers for lunch tomorrow. I always have so many leftovers, I really should cut down the recipes. Anyone want to join me for dinner next time??
I hope you guys enjoy these recipes. I know they are all not from scratch but its getting me in the kitchen more so that is the best thing!
I am off to get the kitchen cleaned up and perhaps get started on some laundry tonight. Have a great night!
Have you ever tried tofu? If so, do you have a favorite tofu dish?