Tofu Tuesday!

February 24, 2010

Happy Tuesday!  I am happy to report that I am feeling much better.  Nothing some good rest couldn’t cure.  Thank you for all your get well wishes.  I have a nice list of chores waiting for me tomorrow (my day off) since I didn’t get to them this weekend.

So like I had mentioned the other day, I am going to be making a new food each week.  This week, I thought I would try out a tofu recipe I got from my Real Simple magazine. My mom got me a subscription of this magazine for Christmas and it has a little of everything..home, fashion, and food, you name it.

Tofu is low in calories and a good source of protein.  Per serving (3 ounces), this package has  calories 80 calories and 9 grams of protein.  The FDA states " 25 grams of soy protein per day as part of a diet low in saturated fat may reduce risk of coronary heart disease ."  Tofu also contains a relatively large amount of iron and contains little fat.

source

There are different types of tofu as I have found out.  Tonight’s recipe calls for Extra Firm Tofu.

First, you need to drain the tofu.  I found a great how to:

1. Layer your bowl with two layers of towels and place tofu on towels
  2. Place tofu in bowl.
  3. Lay a fresh towel on top of tofu.
  4. Gently press down on towel to remove any initial water.
  5. Remove damp towel and place two layers of fresh towels on top of tofu.
  6. Carefully place a bowl or other weight on top of towels to press down on tofu.
  7. Let sit for at least fifteen minutes.

source

I let the tofu drain while getting my other ingredients together.

Vegetarian Tacos With Spinach, Corn, and Goat Cheese (serves 4)

Source: Real Simple Magazine

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu—drained, patted dry, and crumbled
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • 1 10-ounce package frozen corn (2 cups), thawed
  • 1 5-ounce package baby spinach (about 6 loosely packed cups)
  • 8 small flour tortillas, warmed
  • 3/4 cup crumbled fresh goat feta cheese (3 ounces)
  • 3/4 cup store-bought refrigerated salsa
Directions

1. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu, chili powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.

2. Add the corn and cook, tossing, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add the spinach and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and toss until wilted.

3. Fill the tortillas with the tofu mixture, cheese, and salsa.

Nutritional Information Per Serving:
  • Calories 355
  • Protein 18g
  • Fat  14g
  • Sat Fat  3g
  • Fiber 7g

I thought this recipe turned out great!  I really like the combination of flavors.  I thought the feta was good, but I think it would taste delish with goat cheese.  I definitely recommend trying this recipe out.

I also had a dinner guest…

IMG_2808 IMG_2810

It’s the funniest thing.  He sits at the table like a human.  He was not too interested in tonight’s dinner.  He is all about the meat.

I will be having some leftovers for lunch tomorrow. I always have so many leftovers, I really should cut down the recipes.  Anyone want to join me for dinner next time??

I hope you guys enjoy these recipes.  I know they are all not from scratch but its getting me in the kitchen more so that is the best thing!

I am off to get the kitchen cleaned up and perhaps get started on some laundry tonight.  Have a great night!

Have you ever tried tofu? If so, do you have a favorite tofu dish?

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Sally McKaye February 24, 2010 at 4:52 am

I’m not a fan of tofu, but I’ll definitely give this recipe a shot! (Real Simple is my savior, by the way lol)

Vee February 24, 2010 at 9:11 am

Glad you are feeling better!
Your cat sitting on a chair is so cute! :-)

Morgan February 24, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Glad you are feeling better!
I love recipe, I can’t wait to try it. I think I have everything on hand too, plus I have been cravings tacos. Thanks!

Michal February 24, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Yum you know I love me some tofu :)

Im glad to hear that your feeling a little better too, being sick is no fun.

The Candid RD February 24, 2010 at 10:39 pm

I really wish I could eat tofu without getting such FOUL gas. I would buy it all the time! Your tacos look so delicious, and I even think Nick would eat them. Honestly, even a bite of tofu gives me gas, it’s AWFUL! Sometimes I can handle silken tofu, which is strange, but I want savory tofu dishes. Oh well, I’m going to try tempeh next weekend.
Regarding the question on my blog, I make my frozen yogurt with my ice cream maker! The recipe is on the side of my blog. I just add whatever I want into the simple vanilla recipe.

Swanky Dietitian February 24, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Thanks! I am going to check it out!

Jessie February 25, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I have some leftover tofu to use up, so this recipe would be PERFECT! If only I could convince my husband to give it a try … :P I think even he will like this Mexican-inspired dish.

Your cat is so cute! :)

Melinda February 25, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Looks great! I am glad it was a success for you. I eat tofu all the time since I am a vegetarian and it is the one thing that is readily available for vegetarians here. I think I already mentioned my fave tofu dish, but I’ll list it again. I marinate in a thai curry type sauce, then bake it, then I heat up spaghetti squash and broccoli which I add some of the marinade to and then toss in the tofu.

Heather (Where's the Beach) February 25, 2010 at 6:48 pm

I thought I had posted a comment here. Hmmm. Dish looks great! Tuesday was a tofu day for me too!

Corinne Dobbas February 25, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Love this recipe and the tips on prepping tofu! The 1st few times I cooked with tofu it was always soggy …. then I learned about the power of the paper towel! It’s key to get the water out before cooking the tofu … so it stays firm. The dish looks delish :) Looking forward to more of your recipes!

Andrea@WellnessNotes February 25, 2010 at 10:19 pm

I mainly use marinated tofu in stir fry dishes. I stir fry all sorts of veggies and then add the marinated tofu (soy sauce, sesame oil, hot pepper paste, sesame seeds) at the last minute to heat it through.

Your tacos sound great! And I love how colorful they are!

Kasey February 25, 2010 at 11:55 pm

Your tacos look delish. According to me, goat cheese makes everything taste great! And I love your dinner guest :)
I love tofu in stir fry dishes.
Glad you are feeling better!